Polski | Română | Español

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
TC UP New...
crowley

RE: TC UP New...
the older "tcup new" could create cascading subdirs (as well as the original tc new folder dialog) Smile

thanx in advance
2010-01-22 23:26:28
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
crowley

I'm going to test it as soon as possible (currently I am in the office and I may not download executable files, which are blocked by our firewall).

I have two other issues, which I ran into yesterday:
- Directory Mode: If I change the "open in tcup option" (both ways) and create a new folder, TC UP New will not close automatically. If I open it again, it works fine. This does only happen with Windows Vista (not with XP). Seems to be a small Vista related bug.
- Directory Mode: If I chose to not open the directory, I would like to set the file cursor in TCUP to the new folder. Example: I have folder A1, B2, C3, E5. Currently, the file cursor in TCUP stands on A1. I press F7 and with TCUP New I create the new directory "D4". The file cursor stays on A1, but I would like to have it set to D4. This is standard behavior with original TC dialog and I think, that the "older" TCUP New was programmed to work this way also.
2010-01-27 12:07:00
Bithunter
New

(2010-01-27 12:07:00)crowley Wrote:  - Directory Mode: If I chose to not open the directory, I would like to set the file cursor in TCUP to the new folder. Example: I have folder A1, B2, C3, E5. Currently, the file cursor in TCUP stands on A1. I press F7 and with TCUP New I create the new directory "D4". The file cursor stays on A1, but I would like to have it set to D4. This is standard behavior with original TC dialog and I think, that the "older" TCUP New was programmed to work this way also.
Yes, "old" tcup New selection bar stays over the new folder when creating one.
2010-01-27 17:21:11
crowley

pawel, I think, Bithunter wanted to say, that the problem, I reported, has not been with the "older" TCUP New:

You have a couple of directories in your TC UP panel. The file cursor is on "Example-Dir". You hit F7 and TC UP New pops up. You enter the name for a new directory "New Dir". TC UP creates the directory, exits and returns to TC UP. I see, that the file cursor is still on "Example-Dir". In my opinion, it should be set on "New Dir".

That would be the behavior of original TC-Dialog and older "TCUP New".
2010-01-31 22:44:08
crowley

Thank you for the work Smile I'll just do, what I can, to make you developing a program, with is stable and fit to my needs Smile

Finally, I found time to test your TC UP New "beta", which you offered a couple of posts earlier. I must admit, that I've - unfortunately - found another handful of annoying things:

- TC UP New opens on the wrong screen. I have to monitors. The left one is my primary screen. I have maximized TC UP on the right screen. If I press F7, TC UP New is opened on the left screen (screen centered). In the TC UP New options it's selected, that it should receive the position from TC UP. But... it does not.
- TC UP New settings dialog opens desktop-centered. Same scenario as above. If I press the settings button on TC UP New, the settings dialog is opened half on the left and half on the right monitor. This should be centered on TC UP News' mainform.
- If I start TC UP New by doubleclicking in TC UP, the program seems to be immediately closed. I suggest, that you should let TCUP New react like as it was started via Windows Explorer.
- The file cursor is still not set on the newly created directory.
- It would be nice to replace the checkboxes to clear the history by buttons - and to clear the history on button click. I had the problem once with "older TC UP New", that my hard-disk was full. I saw, that TC UP New's creation history was laaaaarge (about 5MB) and I wanted to clear it with that dialog. But this could not be done, because TC UP New wanted to store the settings first and clear the history afterwards. The storing failed, because the hard-disk was too full and there was not enough space to save it to.
- If you have TC UP New's settings dialog opened and close it, then the current value in the "directory name" is reverted to "New directory".
- If you have TC UP New's settings dialog opened, you leave the still opened dialog by clicking on another application in the task bar and the you click on TC UP, TC UP New will be reactivated. This is great! But... if the settings dialog window is opened, it should be reactivated in place of the mainform.
- Directory creation does not work for me on FTP. I tried it on three different servers Sad

May I suggest one or two other things?
- TC UP New does not have to remember every name multiple times. I worked a little on my music archive and created a couple of folders with the name "_Cover"... later in the creation history I saw this directoryname about 50 times or even more. It should be enough, to save those names just once in the history.
- Regarding this, I think the creation history could be limited to a configurable amount of entries. Example: I set the limitation to "3" (in live usage it would be about 50). I create dir a1. In the history is a1. I create directory b2. In history is b2, a1. I create dir c3. In history is c3, b2, a1. I create dir a1 again. I have in history a1, c3, b2. I create dir d4. Then I have d4, a1, c3. Do you understand, what I mean?
- Another option could be, to save the date value, when a directory is created with the directoryname in the history. Then you could add an option to the settings, to keep those filenames for a specific count of days.
Honestly, I'd like to see both of those "auto clean" options in TC UP New.

Finally, I've found another really small flaw on the settings dialog: On the settings tab you see in the save- groupbox 3 checkboxes. You should realign the top value of the seconds checkbox. I guess, two pixels more.

Again: Thanx for your work Big Grin
2010-02-03 16:51:39
crowley

Hi Pawel,

I began to test your new TCUP New version this morning. It looks good so far, but I did find another issue Smile For my other suggestions, I'll try to explain it further

(2010-02-03 23:17:06)Pawel Wrote:  
(2010-02-03 16:51:39)crowley Wrote:  - TC UP New opens on the wrong screen. I have to monitors. The left one is my primary screen. I have maximized TC UP on the right screen. If I press F7, TC UP New is opened on the left screen (screen centered). In the TC UP New options it's selected, that it should receive the position from TC UP. But... it does not.

I am not sure I can fix it... If you have any idea, i am listening... (Just cant test it, i have one monitor)
This should be not so difficult. You can easily get the screen coordinates of TC with a windows API call. Then you can center your TC UP New over it:
tcupnew.left := tc.left + (tc.width - tcupnew.width) / 2
tcupnew.top := tc.top + (tc.height - tcupnew.height) / 2

(2010-02-03 16:51:39)crowley Wrote:  - TC UP New settings dialog opens desktop-centered. Same scenario as above. If I press the settings button on TC UP New, the settings dialog is opened half on the left and half on the right monitor. This should be centered on TC UP News' mainform.
OK. Should be now fixed...
It's on the correct screen, but you should display it MainFormCentered (not ScreenCentered). If you have moved your TCUP New Window, it looks a bit strange, when the settingsform is opened "anywhere" (in the middle of the screen). I'd say, you should position it over the MainForm.

(2010-02-03 16:51:39)crowley Wrote:  - If I start TC UP New by doubleclicking in TC UP, the program seems to be immediately closed. I suggest, that you should let TCUP New react like as it was started via Windows Explorer.
Do you mean when you run it by clicking in TCUP program or directory?
New should know if it was launched via TCUP or Explorer (I check it by checking parent process ID). Please describe problem.
I browse in TC to the TCUP New directory. There I doubleclick TCUPNew.exe or press enter while I set the file cursor on it. It is opened, but will be closed immediately.

(2010-02-03 16:51:39)crowley Wrote:  - The file cursor is still not set on the newly created directory.
Yes, it is known issue... Will work on it
I'll guess, there is an appropriate message, you can send to TC.

(2010-02-03 16:51:39)crowley Wrote:  - If you have TC UP New's settings dialog opened and close it, then the current value in the "directory name" is reverted to "New directory".
OK. Should be now fixed...
Unfortunately not really... The value, you have entered is replaced (probably by the last one in history).
You press F7 -> TCUP New opens -> You enter an example name into the box (e.g. ThisIsMyExampleDir) -> Click on settings -> Click on close -> There is an other name in the editbox.

(2010-02-03 16:51:39)crowley Wrote:  - If you have TC UP New's settings dialog opened, you leave the still opened dialog by clicking on another application in the task bar and the you click on TC UP, TC UP New will be reactivated. This is great! But... if the settings dialog window is opened, it should be reactivated in place of the mainform.
Yes... I will try to make Settings window, if opened to be on first plan, not behind main window...
Try it with this procedure:
Code:
procedure ShowApplication(aHWnd: THandle);
var
  Th1, Th2: Cardinal;
begin
  Th1 := GetCurrentThreadId;
  Th2 := GetWindowThreadProcessId(GetForegroundWindow, nil);
  AttachThreadInput(Th2, Th1, True);
  try
    SetForegroundWindow(aHwnd);
  finally
    AttachThreadInput(Th2, Th1, False);
  end;
end;

(2010-02-03 16:51:39)crowley Wrote:  - Directory creation does not work for me on FTP. I tried it on three different servers Sad
Hmm, it should... I hope we can focus on it in nearest future.
It still does not work Sad

(2010-02-03 16:51:39)crowley Wrote:  - Another option could be, to save the date value, when a directory is created with the directoryname in the history. Then you could add an option to the settings, to keep those filenames for a specific count of days.
Honestly, I'd like to see both of those "auto clean" options in TC UP New.
Completly dont understand what you mean. Please, describe it.
Ok, I'll try to explain it further. Currently you save your history like
Dir1=DirA
Dir2=DirB
Dir3=DirC
Dir4=DirD
Dir5=DirE
Now, for me it seems, that your counter Dir1...Dir5...DirX is not necessary, as you can see, how many entries you have (by reading the whole history in a StringList and using Count). Instead you could use your list chronologically (I use the same dirnames as above)
DirA=2010-01-17 12:41:32
DirB=2010-02-01 06:17:21
DirC=2010-02-03 08:13:04
DirD=2010-02-03 08:14:00
DirE=2010-02-08 19:22:56
Whenever you create DirE again, you update its value in the list with the current date. Then, you can still get your history (StringList.Names), you can order it by creation-date-time (StringList.Values) and (for me) even more useful: You know, when a specific directory name was created for the last time. So you could remove all entries, which are older than e.g. 90 days.
I hope, this explanation was better Smile

Now to the "new" problem: If I create cascading subdirs, it does no do what I want. I create "test1\test2". So far it works! But now, I'm still in my root directory and I want to create "test1\test3", I expect, to get a second directory with name "test3" in my previously created "test1". But instead of this, I'll get "test1 (0)\test3".

Another suggestion: Could you please show in the hints for the buttons, which option is currently activated? It would be best, to set this option to a bold font or to add something in front or at the end of it (like "!" or "(+)" or "(*)". I know a couple of colorblind people, which cannot determine, whether the "open dir" option is active or not.

And could you please add shortcuts to the buttons "OK", "Cancel" and "Settings"? Add a "&" at the beginning of the caption Smile

Still I have alignment problems (independent of the language file, I use):
Settings dialog -> Settings tab -> groupbox Save -> The top position of the third checkbox should be decreased about 1 pixel
Settings dialog -> Settings tab -> groupbox Delete history -> The left position of the label "Delete names...directory" should increased to be on the position as the label "Delete names...files"
Settings dialog -> Appearance tab -> groupbox Position -> The left position of the checkbox should be decreased to have the same value as the checkbox in groupbox "Stay on top of TC"
Settings dialog -> Misc. tab -> groupboxes Menu Buttons / Help Hints -> The left position of the radiobuttons should be decreased to have the same value as in the groupbox files/directories creating

The final thing: when I clear the history in the settings dialog, the whole history is still in the combobox. Probably, you should read the history again, when you close the settings.

If I find another issue, I'll report it Smile
2010-02-10 11:41:11
crowley

hey there Smile

I just wanted to add another "feature request". could it be possible, to create "directory projects" as well? I could use in a couple of situations.. here are some examples, which should also describe, what I mean with "directory projects". I want to enter just the name of the new directory and the appropriate subdirs are created in the deepest level of my entered subdirs regarding which "dir project" I choose.

Scenario 1 - "Music Album":
<Albumname>\_Cover

Scenario 2 - "Music Double CD Album":
<Albumname>\_Cover
<Albumname>\CD I
<Albumname>\CD II

Scenario 3 - "Music Triple CD Album":
<Albumname>\_Cover
<Albumname>\CD I
<Albumname>\CD II
<Albumname>\CD III

Scenario 4 - "Delphi project":
<Projectname>\bin
<Projectname>\dcu
<Projectname>\doc
<Projectname>\Forms
<Projectname>\res
<Projectname>\Units

To explain it further: I enter "Nirvana\[1991] Nevermind" and I choose as directory project "Music Album".
In the current directory will be created a subfolder Nirvana (if it does not exist) and therein a subfolder with name "[1991] Nevermind" and regarding the structure of the dirproject therein will be another subfolder with name "_Cover".

I hope, you could understand, what I mean Smile
2010-05-31 15:05:14
Bithunter
New

At his time, TC Up New still doesnt "stay" over newly created folder. (If I create a new folder, most probably I want to use it immediately, so position bar should be over the new folder after creation)
2010-06-29 13:11:39
crnila
New

TC UP New in TC UP 5.2 can't read the name of the selected file to create the folder with the same name (it was very practical to me in v5.1) and it can't open the folder immediately after it is created (like it did in v5.1). Is it a bug or I miss some configuration?
2010-09-01 17:14:38
crnila
New

Here I am again about TCUPNew in TC UP v5.2.
When I run TCUPNew.exe from Tools folder, it creates and enters newly created folder, but this doesn't work with <F7> from the keyboard, like it did in v5.1.
When I press <F7 New Folder> button with sellected file, then the name of file is read and after creating the folder with that name, that folder is sellected. But this is Total Commander, not TCUPNew.
(This post was last modified: 2010-09-02 07:56:19 by crnila.)
2010-09-02 07:49:22

Contact Us | TC UP - Total Commander Ultima Prime | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication