Polski | Română | Español

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Please remove applications from TCUP
scud
New

Exclamation Please remove applications from TCUP
I have one suggestion. Please remove all application which are not part of TCUP like AIMP, Opera, KMPlayer, Miranda, Downloaders etc etc... Why? Cause all that application we use outside TC and it is not necessary to include that apps to bloat TCUP. Size of TCUP really grow too much. 100 MB for file browser??? It is too much! For example some people don't like Opera, they like Firefox. Why then You include portable Opera and no Portable Firefox? Why not include portable Open Office 3.0 (it is just + 300MB) LOL. Developers of TCUP, You really go to wrong way... Point is to make small but powerful file browser, not as container for all apps on the world.

First thing what I do after installing TCUP is removing applications. Why to spend 1 hour for removing apps to make TCUP small on size??? My TCUP without apps is just 10 MB instead of 100 MB. And I already have all that apps like AIMP, Firefox, KMPlayer, Miranda on my hard as portables and I update that apps for myself. I don't need to wait for new version to update my apps on hard. People don't need apps on two places. On folders in hard and in TCUP. So please take this post as very serious. I think good idea is to leave apps as editors, some viewers etc, but not big standalone apps.

Anyway, that calculator HEXelon is very very bad. Much better is SpeedCrunch http://speedcrunch.org/en_US/index.html .

Suggestion or maybe idea for end of this post is to make 2 versions of TCUP. 1st version to be TCUP FULL like it is now, and new TCUP LITE version which don't have custom big apps inside, small on size and fast (with all plugins without apps). Why not? It is easy to do... I can even help in that if You wish, cause I make TCUP small every time after installation of new version...
(This post was last modified: 2008-10-31 18:33:40 by scud.)
2008-10-31 18:10:58
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fenixproductions

RE: Please remove applications from TCUP
scud Wrote:Cause all that application we use outside TC and it is not necessary to include that apps to bloat TCUP. Size of TCUP really grow too much. 100 MB for file browser???

TC UP has other goals to achieve. The main purpose of this project is to deliver to the users one pack to install after operating system.

Ultima meant to see something like:
1. Install your Windows
2. install firewall / antivirus / patches
3. install TC UP
4. you're done - no need for anything else.

TC UP differs from other packs (like Total Commander Power Pack because of that.

scud Wrote:Why to spend 1 hour for removing apps to make TCUP small on size???

This is the price of not paying attention to installers. TC UP has the possibility to un-check almost every application during installation procedure for a long time (the newest version also allows to remove language files).

If you don't need some software just don't install it.

scud Wrote:People don't need apps on two places. On folders in hard and in TCUP. So please take this post as very serious. I think good idea is to leave apps as editors, some viewers etc, but not big standalone apps.

Perhaps some people don't need it but please remember that many people want to have portable applications. I really doubt they store them in Program Files. Do you really have avery piece of software there? If not then you're denying yourself.

scud Wrote:Anyway, that calculator from TCUP is very very bad. Much better is SpeedCrunch http://speedcrunch.org/en_US/index.html .

Doesn't seem to be portable and after all GPL licenced software is the thorn in Ultima's side. Please post suggestions in separate threads.

scud Wrote:Suggestion or maybe idea for end of this post is to make 2 versions of TCUP. 1st version to be TCUP FULL like it is now, and new TCUP LITE version which don't have custom big apps inside, small on size and fast (with all plugins without apps). Why not? It is easy to do... I can even help in that if You wish, cause I make TCUP small every time after installation of new version...

It sounds reasonable but I don't really know how would it be. AFAIK Ultima doesn't want to replace mentioned TCPP (even if it's quite old) but rather have something different.

[Image: dc85x15_philkc_fade22lr.png]
2008-10-31 18:46:46
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
scud
New

fenixproductions Wrote:Ultima meant to see something like:
1. Install your Windows
2. install firewall / antivirus / patches
3. install TC UP
4. you're done - no need for anything else.

Ok it is good for un-experienced users.

My programs are on "D:\Programs" allways ready to use (portables) and I manage that folder by myself. If I need to replace it to new clean computer, I just copy that Programs folder and "Start Menu" and "Desktop" shortcuts to new computer.

fenixproductions Wrote:This is the price of not paying attention to installers. TC UP has the possibility to un-check almost every application during installation procedure for a long time (the newest version also allows to remove language files).

If you don't need some software just don't install it.

I did't know that cause I use older version TCUP without that possibility. I stoped to use newer versions cause sometimes I don't have time to customize TCUP after install, but that new options are really nice.

fenixproductions Wrote:Perhaps some people don't need it but please remember that many people want to have portable applications. I really doubt they store them in Program Files. Do you really have avery piece of software there? If not then you're denying yourself.

Oh, no, I don't use C:\Program files Smile I already sad that. I have all apps on D:\Programs and they are all portables. So before OS reinstalling I just save my shortcuts (start menu and desktop) and after installing new OS I have all apps ready to use. That's the reason why I wish small TCUP without apps Wink

fenixproductions Wrote:Doesn't seem to be portable and after all GPL licenced software is the thorn in Ultima's side. Please post suggestions in separate threads.

Portable allready exist. Here is it: http://portableapps.com/apps/office/spee...h_portable . Sorry for all suggestion in one post, but in forum don't exist separately section "Suggestions". In TCUP 4.4 I can't un-check HEXelon Sad It is disabled.

scud and fenixproductions :) Wrote:... 2 versions of TCUP. 1st version to be TCUP FULL like it is now, and new TCUP LITE version...

It sounds reasonable but I don't really know how would it be. AFAIK Ultima doesn't want to replace mentioned TCPP (even if it's quite old) but rather have something different.

OK but You can try to make two versions. Cause LITE version will be easy for download, easy for install (about 10MB instead of 100MB). Why to download 100MB and un-check all apps? All that apps to many experienced users already exist on some partition (cause that apps are all portable).

I will say that again. I wish to help to this project to be better, not to attack...Wink
(This post was last modified: 2008-10-31 19:59:47 by scud.)
2008-10-31 19:17:23
xbrook
Mouse user

scud Wrote:I will say that again. I wish to help to this project to be better, not to attack...Wink

Scud, u re on wrong way to write here. U dont understand this project. This is not only file browser. U can download only standalone total commander without any addons. Ultima prime offer to user much more. As fenix said. I installed windows, antivir and few other application and ultima prime is ready to give me all functions which i need for all work. I am advanced user, i used many programs, soft and OS. Programs which UP team chosen are the best of the best from freeware portable cathegory. If u dont want some program, during installation u can leave it. If u dont want TC UP please use speed commander or basic TC.
Your post is unreliable and doesnt make sense to me.

Use it or hate it Smile

[Image: userbarvip2.jpg]
Aj pokazene hodiny ukazuju 2x denne spravny cas! [Image: likeopera_man.gif]
(This post was last modified: 2008-10-31 23:10:29 by xbrook.)
2008-10-31 23:09:47
fenixproductions

I agree with xbrook and always advice to spend some time to build your own TC. Strangely to write but I don't use TC UP, really. I'd built my own pack so long ago that I've never wanted to switch to different set. I still recommend Ultima's project to other people after all.

On the other hand, there are many "TC packs" over the Internet to choose from but remember about how hard it is to get them accepted by TC's author. The main issue is always legality of included software and TC UP still keeps right way.

Of course, it could be nice to see the light version but it would not be TC UP anymore. Like Firefox with extensions ripped out.

[Image: dc85x15_philkc_fade22lr.png]
2008-11-01 00:13:14
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
m^2
Super Moderator

scud Wrote:Portable allready exist. Here is it: http://portableapps.com/apps/office/spee..._portable.
PortableApps.com launchers' quality often leaves a lot to be desired.

Also, they believe that close source=evil and I highly doubt we could convince them to make an exception from GPL for us.

[Image: pcbsdec7.jpg]
2008-11-01 16:50:24
scud
New

fenixproductions Wrote:Of course, it could be nice to see the light version but it would not be TC UP anymore. Like Firefox with extensions ripped out.

No, no like Firefox without extensions. That's not good compare cause extensions are plugins and extensions can't work without Firefox. TCUP without apps is like Firefox without (standalone) apps like external download managers like GetRight and so on. Plugins not equal to Apps.

TCUP without apps is much powerful and more customizable compared to standard TC.

I like plugin choice of TCUP and this is probably best TC pack, but I just mean Lite version for smaller download, without standalone apps. That will be good if someone don't wish all apps to download (not plugins). All Plugins should be in Lite version...

Ok that was just idea. If You don't wish lite version, it is not so important to me cause I have fast download. But for someone download is still 128k even 64k believe me or not Smile

fenixproductions Wrote:Strangely to write but I don't use TC UP, really. I'd built my own pack so long ago that I've never wanted to switch to different set.

I'd like to see Your custom version of TC Smile I think it is something what I wish Wink
(This post was last modified: 2008-11-03 07:12:17 by scud.)
2008-11-03 07:06:16
RudyD
New

Greetings!

It seems to me that it is getting a generation philosopic divide under this horrible topic subject.
I love TCUP since the beggining. But I can understand the other side too.
I have several problems with it and I use it becouse it is still a most powerful one.
Anyhow - I get a bit annoyed, I just pulled the latest release a few days, and here is another one. Yes - It is 10 times bigger than the base and yes, it contains the best apps around.

But I think that it is getting bigger and bigger. And for a new app, or a little change - It must be to get almost the same whole bunch data again and again.

I think that it is a time to think seriously about modularize TCUP.
I think instead the (full\light) versions a base and modules plus all modules would be a nice choice. You all giving a great job with the installer time by time. I think something like this can't be problem for you.

With the modularization p.e. that also could be solved to put the portable apps part away to a real different location. Or even to make a portable TCUP.. B-)
Anyhow this way updating just a few apps, or parts of the base would be much flexible and more easy to do task. It probably could reduce download traffic.

Thank you for your attention and keep up the good work.
2008-11-03 17:24:19
RudyD
New

I almost forgot, TC PowerPack seems a bit really outdated to me.
2008-11-03 17:26:36
cerati88
New

Exclamation RE: Please remove applications from TCUP
I agree in part with scud... in a few things...

1. The calculator should be SpeedCrunch
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/spee...h_portable

2. TCUP's setup file is getting bigger each time.

3. Instead of AIMP and TheKMPlayer, it should be Winamp, VLC media player or K-Lite Mega Pack of Codecs (with Media Player Classic)

Apart from that, TCUP is genius!
2008-11-03 20:38:11

Contact Us | TC UP - Total Commander Ultima Prime | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication