Polski | Română | Español

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Very Confused!!!
Giant Waffle
New

Very Confused!!!
I am very confused about a few things with this setup and I am hoping that someone can help me with some answers to a few questions, as I am ignorant of this version of TC.

1) It installs a lot of programs, but can they be accessed without first loading TC? They don't put any icons anywhere.

2) What about when the programs request that I update them? Where will they install? I mean, it seems to me that if it downloads the new version and I go to install it, that it may want to install to a different location under the C:\Program Files directory instead of where your version of TC originally installed it and then what? Now I have two copies of it.

3) I found that some of what it installed, I already have on my system, which means that now my registry may be hosed up for that particular program, which now may not work properly. How is this handled???

Side notes: I'm not trying to criticize here, but wouldn't it be better to have the program check for already installed copies of the program, or at least allow you to check which ones you want installed and which ones you don't? It seems to me that if one is just setting up their system, this would be the coolest thing in the world! Smile But if one already has these things installed, then it may not be. Smile

Anyway, these are just a few of the things that struck me initially after running your version of TC. I really like it that all of that cool stuff is available in it, some of which I did not have and did not even know existed and is great stuff, but I just don't see how I won't end up getting hosed up at some point, between #'s 2 & 3. So can someone maybe help me please with some answers to these questions, so that I can better understand what is going on with this install that I have just done of TC UP?
2009-08-06 02:22:15
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fenixproductions

RE: Very Confused!!!
2Giant Waffle
Ad.1.

IIRC there should be installer option for getting applications shortcuts (LNK).

Ad.2.

The best way to update any application from TC UP is to download portable version of it and unpack into proper subdirectory.

Ad.3.

I don't think TC UP messes too much with registry in regards to included applications. Most of them are installed in portable mode. It should be rare behaviour to have anything overwritten. To be 100% sure: install TC UP without system integration options (like autoplay).

Maybe future versions will check for other programs existence but it might be hard to implement. There are simply to many possibilities. The only thing you can do for now is to uncheck unwanted software during installation.

[Image: dc85x15_philkc_fade22lr.png]
2009-08-06 11:16:55
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
haixvs
New

Dear ALL,

To make easy using, I attached here with the default bar which has many functions.
You can overwrite it on default bars of TC in the case you have already backed up the original ones.

Attached File(s)
.rar  TC UP Default Bar.rar (Size: 18.29 KB / Downloads: 11)
(This post was last modified: 2009-11-27 07:52:41 by haixvs.)
2009-08-19 18:04:46
ULTIMA PRIME
Administrator

(2009-08-06 02:22:15)Giant Waffle Wrote:  1) It installs a lot of programs, but can they be accessed without first loading TC? They don't put any icons anywhere.

While installing, you've got additional page where you can define where (Start menu, Desktop, Quick Launch) and which shortcuts should be created. You can use that feature to have an access to other programs without the need to run Total Commander at all.

That's the whole idea of the project: it is not extended file manager, but software pack for the most used applications. It is simple: install your Operating System, install TC UP, install anti-virus and you've got all you need.

You can also use (after installation) TC UP Integrator application for creating needed shortcuts.

TC UP > Menu > Tools > TC UP > TC UP Integrator > Shortcuts

(2009-08-06 02:22:15)Giant Waffle Wrote:  2) What about when the programs request that I update them? Where will they install? I mean, it seems to me that if it downloads the new version and I go to install it, that it may want to install to a different location under the C:\Program Files directory instead of where your version of TC originally installed it and then what? Now I have two copies of it.

If you choose default installation type in TC UP installer (Actualization) proper software should be replaced by newer versions - we are trying to keep all user setting as far as it possible while doing it. Unfortunately: this is sometimes impossible. Update procedure replaces existing files and there is no need to install anything to different folders. It should work correctly but we still advise to make a backup of your TC UP "just to be sure".

On the other hand: if you meant getting newer versions by your own, it should be better to look for "portable" releases of desired software.

(2009-08-06 02:22:15)Giant Waffle Wrote:  3) I found that some of what it installed, I already have on my system, which means that now my registry may be hosed up for that particular program, which now may not work properly. How is this handled???

It is hard to be 100% accurate in that case because such issue depends on each application.

I think that is TC UP contains portable version of problematic software, nothing should happen but if such program keeps its settings in registry we always replace them (making backup of previous state!). After using deinstaller everything should come back as it was.

From our side, we are trying not to make a garbage from user's registry. TC UP installer makes backups for all user settings which may be replaced by our owns (i.e. files associations). In the case you don't like it, you can always get your settings back to the first state by simply using deinstaller. In addition, many applications bungled within TC UP is portable and they shouldn't use registry but INI files placed in their directories instead.

(2009-08-06 02:22:15)Giant Waffle Wrote:  Side notes: I'm not trying to criticize here, but wouldn't it be better to have the program check for already installed copies of the program, or at least allow you to check which ones you want installed and which ones you don't? It seems to me that if one is just setting up their system, this would be the coolest thing in the world! Smile But if one already has these things installed, then it may not be. Smile

Anyway, these are just a few of the things that struck me initially after running your version of TC. I really like it that all of that cool stuff is available in it, some of which I did not have and did not even know existed and is great stuff, but I just don't see how I won't end up getting hosed up at some point, between #'s 2 & 3. So can someone maybe help me please with some answers to these questions, so that I can better understand what is going on with this install that I have just done of TC UP?

I understand your worries and I can congratulate you being aware of such issues. We are trying our best to make TC UP the best for most of the people but we know we cannot satisfy everyone or fix all problems which might occur. We are trying our best and we to get all opinions (good or bad) into consideration. We're doing what we like and this is important for us.

Robert YouTube
Mario YouTube
2009-10-11 21:40:24
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ULTIMA PRIME
Administrator

(2009-08-19 18:04:46)haixvs Wrote:  Dear ALL,

To make easy using, I attached here with the default bar which has many functions.
You can overwrite it on default bars of TC in the case you have already backed up the original ones.

Thank you for your time but I must give you one advice: if you'd like to make a toolbar for public use, be sure not to add link to the software which is installed on your machine only.

Robert YouTube
Mario YouTube
2009-10-11 21:46:32
haixvs
New

(2009-10-11 21:46:32)ULTIMA PRIME Wrote:  
(2009-08-19 18:04:46)haixvs Wrote:  Dear ALL,

Thank you for your time but I must give you one advice: if you'd like to make a toolbar for public use, be sure not to add link to the software which is installed on your machine only.

Thank you, I have updated attachment again with removing some personal icons.
2009-11-27 07:57:05

Contact Us | TC UP - Total Commander Ultima Prime | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication