Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TcUp 8.6 trojan virus
I'm unable to install TCUP 8.6 because Windows 11 found Trojan:Win32/Malgent!MSR and other 2 virus in the installation file. exe  
Undecided I bought you program because I love it but in this way I can't use on my PC. Undecided
(03-07-2023, 09:20 PM)Marmod Wrote: I'm unable to install TCUP 8.6 because Windows 11 found Trojan:Win32/Malgent!MSR and other 2 virus in the installation file. exe  

TC UP is 100% clean, this is a misunderstanding (False positives) on the part of the Antivirus program, Windows Defender - I have been trying to clarify this matter for several days, trying to contact with Microsoft company, unfortunately to no avail. I will write in this thread in a few days, as soon as I know something.

I assure you that TC UP has no virus, but you and other users probably won't trust my assurances and will just believe Defender's AV program false accusations...

(03-07-2023, 09:20 PM)Marmod Wrote: I bought you program

What does it mean, what did you mean by "bought you program"?
I don't sell TC UP
(03-07-2023, 09:20 PM)Marmod Wrote: I'm unable to install TCUP 8.6 because Windows 11 found Trojan:Win32/Malgent!MSR and other 2 virus in the installation file. exe  
Undecided I bought you program because I love it but in this way I can't use on my PC. Undecided

Means that I paid for wincmd.key to Christian Ghisler. and that I can't use the new version of your program because Microsoft deny to let me download 8.6. Is better in this way?
(03-16-2023, 06:54 PM)Pawel Wrote:
(03-16-2023, 03:02 PM)Marmod Wrote: Means that I paid for wincmd.key to Christian Ghisler. and that I can't use the new version of your program because Microsoft deny to let me download 8.6. Is better in this way?

Total Commander is a Shareware application. To be able to use this great File Manager you have to buy license. However, we (TC UP team) DO NOT sell any license for software. TC UP is completely free. Created by us for You. One for All.

We are aware of issues with some antyvirus programs. We are working hard to eliminate it. It is not easy, trust me.
We assure you that the installer is safe. But we understand this situation is not comfortable.

Let me explain what is the problem. Microsoft Defender flags our installer as malware (or other mistaken threat) . It is False-Positive. Our installer is 100% clean and safe. Out software is also not signed (but it costs a lot of money and I am not sure it helps).
The problem is, that TC UP installer is a big installer. Very big... It is impossible to report this as false-positive - Microsoft accept only files < 500MB. So, we can not prove we are clear. There is no one we can talk and help us.

So, we probably will change the way we distribute installer or something else. Stay tuned...
-Pawel

I hope this will be solved, because I cannot install updated version of TC UP. I was only able to get an older one. Thank you for your work. Let us know news asap. Thanks again.
Dusan
(03-16-2023, 06:54 PM)Pawel Wrote:
(03-16-2023, 03:02 PM)Marmod Wrote: Means that I paid for wincmd.key to Christian Ghisler. and that I can't use the new version of your program because Microsoft deny to let me download 8.6. Is better in this way?

Total Commander is a Shareware application. To be able to use this great File Manager you have to buy license. However, we (TC UP team) DO NOT sell any license for software. TC UP is completely free. Created by us for You. One for All.

We are aware of issues with some antyvirus programs. We are working hard to eliminate it. It is not easy, trust me.
We assure you that the installer is safe. But we understand this situation is not comfortable.

Let me explain what is the problem. Microsoft Defender flags our installer as malware (or other mistaken threat) . It is False-Positive. Our installer is 100% clean and safe. Out software is also not signed (but it costs a lot of money and I am not sure it helps).
The problem is, that TC UP installer is a big installer. Very big... It is impossible to report this as false-positive - Microsoft accept only files < 500MB. So, we can not prove we are clear. There is no one we can talk and help us.

So, we probably will change the way we distribute installer or something else. Stay tuned...
-Pawel

One of options is to do as Google chrome installer does. Small exe which downloads components(plugins) as needed (kind of linux repo system). It will allow to exclude problematic packages in easy manner(reopen installer, uncheck package, install). it can also allow to make "one for all" instaler.
Now we hawe:
Download installer -> open it -> chose soft->instal it
change it to:
Download installer -> open it -> chose soft->idownload packages->install them.
(04-04-2023, 12:26 PM)tomawyder Wrote: Download installer -> open it -> chose soft->idownload packages->install them.

Thank you for the idea, unfortunately hosting files on the server costs money, and nobody will help us in this.

In this thread I have included all the knowledge I have so far related to this problem and I ask users for good advice:

TC UP 8.6 - False accusation of a Trojan by Microsoft Defender